Colin | Jul 9, 2021 | 0
Your soundtrack for the summer, rain or shine!
Releases of the Week 28/2021 with Joe Knecht III and Michał Łapaj
It is mid-July and the summer is in full swing with relentless rain in some places, or scorching heat in others. Our highlights this week are coming from New Jersey with Joe Knecht III’s self-titled debut EP and from Poland with “Are You There”, the solo debut by Riverside‘s keyboard magician Michał Łapaj. Be sure to check out the other releases of this week as well though, we even prepared a Spotify playlist for that purpose. So what are you waiting for – go hit play and subscribe!
Joe Knecht III - Knecht EP
If you’re digging some classic guitar driven instrumentals, New Jersey based multi-instrumentalist Joseph Knecht got you covered this week with the release of his self-titled debut solo EP. The six songs combine some bluesy 70s prog vibes with meatier rhythm guitars and some groovy odd meter riffing. While this is by no means re-inventing the wheel, there’s still plenty to enjoy during the 25 minutes or so runtime. Whether you’re enjoying a cold one in the sun or having a little road trip on the weekend, Knecht makes for a cool summer soundtrack.
Michał Łapaj - Are You There
While his band colleague Mariusz Duda has been quite active aside from their main band both with his Lunatic Soul project as well as under his own name lately, Riverside keyboardist Michał Łapaj is finally releasing some solo stuff as well. And even though I have heard the whole album just once so far, judging by the two singles that feature the magnificent dark voice of Antimatter’s Mick Moss and my reaction to the first playthrough, “Are You There” is absolutely bound to become one of my favorite albums of 2021. The melancholic atmosphere is seeping through every pore of every note and the melodies are simply gorgeous and thoroughly engrossing. A perfect soundtrack for a rainy summer day. The disturbing cover artwork from none other than Jolly’s Anthony Rondinone is just the icing on the cake of this long overdue solo debut. The Łapaj/Moss collab proved to be just as magical as the Kolyadin/Moss and Oceans of Slumber/Moss collaborations lately. I need more of this, no doubt! Mick Moss doesn’t appear on the rest of the album to be fair, but Tangerine Dream isn’t that bad of a reference soundwise either now, is it?
More releases for 16 July, 2021
- Mobius Strip - Time Lag (July 11) Bandcamp
- Ske - Insolubilia (July 11) Bandcamp
- Nebulous Sun - First Tale (July 12, Baboon Fish Label) Bandcamp
- Ulvik - Cascades (July 13, Avantgarde Music) Bandcamp
- Culak - Quiescent (July 14) Bandcamp
- Bulb - Moderately Fast, Adequately Furious (3DOT Recordings)
- Ophidian I - Desolate (Season of Mist) Bandcamp
- Cognitive - Malevolent Thoughts of a Hateful Extinction (Unique Leader Records) Bandcamp
- Wizardthrone - Hypercube Necrodimensions (Napalm Records) Bandcamp
- Wasted Creation - Primordial Bandcamp
- Mesa - Collapse Bandcamp
- Vouna - Atropos (Profound Lore Records) Bandcamp
- Inhuman Architects - Paradoxus (Vicious Instinct Records) Bandcamp
- Crippled Black Phoenix - Painful Reminder / Dead is Dead EP (Season of Mist) Bandcamp
- Head With Wings - Comfort in Illusion EP Bandcamp
- Paradise Lost - At the Mill (Nuclear Blast) Bandcamp